The objective of this laboratory is to study the operating characteristics of hydraulic machines and flow devices. The Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulic Machines laboratory is equipped with a number of equipment and experimental setups to study the fundamentals and applied aspects of fluid mechanics and hydraulic machines. The setups are used for calibration of flow measuring devices such as venturi meter, orifice meter, notches, water meter, rotameter etc used in channels and pipes and Losses in pipes by major and minor loss apparatus. Measurements of critical Performance parameters like efficiency, flow rate etc of various hydraulic machines such as turbines, pumps are also measured in this lab.
- Kaplan Turbine
- Francis Turbine
- Pelton Turbine
- Centrifugal Pump
- Reciprocating Pump
- Major loss apparatus
- Minor loss apparatus
- Metacentric height apparatus
- Bernoullis apparatus
- Reynolds apparatus
- Venturimeter apparatus
- Orifice meter apparatus
List of Experiments
- Determination of coefficient of discharge and calibration of Notches.
- Determination of coefficient of discharge and calibration of Orifice meter.
- Determination of coefficient of discharge and calibration of Venturimeter.
- Determination of Chezy’s constant and Darcy’s coefficient on pipe friction apparatus.
- Determination of hydraulic coefficients of orifices.
- Determination of metacentric height and radius of gyration of floating bodies.
- Experiments on hydraulic ram.
- Reynolds experiment.
- Bernoulli’s experiment.
- Performance test on positive displacement pumps.
- Performance test on centrifugal pumps, determination of operating point and efficiency.
- Performance test on gear pump.
- Performance test on Impulse turbines.
- Performance test on reaction turbines (Francis and Kaplan Turbines).
- Speed variation test on Impulse turbine.
- Determination of best guide vane opening for Reaction turbine.
Workshop practice gives the basic working knowledge required for the production of various engineering products. It explains the construction, function, use and application of different working tools, equipment, machines as well as the technique of manufacturing a product from its raw material.
- Sheet metal
Faculty In charge: K V Mohanankutty
Heat Engine lab facility gives the students a very good practical knowledge about heat engines and their working. Some of the experiments which are performed by students are performance studies of both CI and SI engines, the determination of calorific value for different fuels, viscosity of lubricating oil using Redwood Viscometer, determination of flash and fire point, Valve timing diagram, Port timing diagram, Morse test on petrol engines etc.
- Air conditioning unit test rig
- Refrigeration unit test rig
- Petrol engine test rig
- Diesel engine test rig
- Petrol engine – 4 stroke
- Diesel engine – 4 stroke
- Air compressor
List of Experiments
- Performance test on petrol engines with various types of loading systems.
- Performance test on Diesel engines with various types of loading systems
- Heat Balance test on petrol/Diesel engines.
- Cooling curve of IC engines.
- Valve timing diagram of IC engines
- Economic speed test on IC engines
- Retardation test on IC engines
- Determination volumetric efficiency and Air-fuel ratio of IC engines
- Morse test on petrol engine
- Performance test on reciprocating compressor
- Performance test on rotary compressor/blower
- Analysis of automobile exhaust gas and flue gas using exhaust gas analyser
- Study and performance test on refrigeration (Refrigeration Test rig)
- Study and performance test air conditioning equipment(air conditioning test rig
Faculty In charge: Vishnu S
Heat Transfer laboratory provides fundamental and industrial knowledge about modes of heat transfer, like conduction, convection and radiation, and their application.
- Heat exchanger – parallel & counter flow
- Shell & tube heat exchanger
- Forced convection apparatus
- Natural convection apparatus
- Flash point apparatus
- Fire point apparatus
List of Experiments
- Determination of LMTD and effectiveness of parallel flow, Counter flow and cross flow heat exchangers ( double pipe heat exchanger)
- Determination of heat transfer coefficients in free convection(free convection apparatus).
- Determination of heat transfer coefficients in forced convection (forced convection apparatus).
- Determination of thermal conductivity of solids (composite wall).
- Determination of thermal conductivity of powder
- Determination of Thermal conductivity of liquids
- Determination of emissivity of a specimen (emissivity apparatus)
- Determination of Stefan Boltzman constant (Stefan Boltzmann apparatus)
- Determination of flash and fire points of petroleum products -flash and fire point apparatus
- Determination of viscosity of lubricating oil- viscometer.
Faculty In charge: Vishnu p S
This laboratory is aimed at providing an introduction to the Know-how of common processes used in industries for manufacturing parts by removal of material in a controlled manner. The emphasis throughout the laboratory course will be on understanding the basic features of the processes rather than details of constructions of machine, or common practices in manufacturing or acquiring skill in the operation of machines.
- Lathe Machines – 10 Nos
- CNC Lathe machine
- Milling machine
- Slotter machine
- Drilling machine
- Grinder machine
- Shaper machine
List of Experiments
- Exercises on centre lathe :- Facing, plain turning, step turning and parting – groove cutting,knurling and chamfering – form turning and taper turning – eccentric turning, multi-start thread, square thread and internal thread etc.
- Exercises on Drilling machine :- drilling, boring, reaming, tapping and counter sinking etc.
- Exercises on Shaping machine :- flat surfaces, grooves and key ways.
- Exercises on Slotting machine :- flat surfaces, grooves and key ways.
- Exercises on Milling machine :- face milling, end milling – spur and helical gear cutting – milling of keyways etc.
- Exercises on Grinding machine :- Exercise on surface grinding, cylindrical grinding and tool grinding etc.
The manufacturing technology lab II is designed for measuring and gauging instruments for inspection of precision linear, geometric forms, angular and surface finish measurements. The student can learn the measurements with and calibration of instruments. They also understand the machine tool alignment test. Instrumentation lab introduces the students with the theory and methods for conducting experimental work in the laboratory and calibration of various instruments for measuring pressure, temperature, displacement, speed, vibration etc.
- Laser Interferometer
- CNC lathe
- Precision equipments for linear measurements ( vernier caliper, micrometer..)
- Precision equipments for angular measurements ( bevel protractor, angle plate..)
- Surface plate
- Combination Sets Gauges ( feeler gauge, pitch Guage..)
- Vernier Height Guage
List of Experiments
- Study and preparation of program, simulation and exercise on CNC lathe.
- Basics for mechanical measurements.
- Experiments on Limits, Fits and Tolerance.
- Calibration of LVDT using slip gauges.
- Straightness error measurement.
- Study of different straightness error measuring instruments – basic principle of auto
collimator and spirit level.
- Measurement of straightness error of a CI surface plate using auto collimator and
comparing with sprit level.
- Laser interferometer used to determine straightness error.
- To check straightness error of a straight edge by the wedge method using slip gauges.
- Angular measurements using bevel protractor, combination sets, clinometers, angle
- Measurement of angle and width of a V-block and comparing with combination sets.
Measurement of angle using sine bar of different samples.
- Out of roundness measurement.
- Screw thread measurement.
- Bore measurement.
- Calibration and determination of uncertainties.